North-West Mounted Police - A Tradition in Scarlet   Francais Home Sitemap Links Feedback Credits
Pour voir davantage du Mus´┐Że virtuel du Canada / See more of the Virtual Museum of Canada
 
History of Major Posts
Prev page
 
Next page


Fort Carlton

Fort Carlton was a Hudson's Bay Company post built near a natural ford of the North Saskatchewan River and on the west's most important overland route, the Carlton Trail. Jarvis, Steele and A Division paused here on their journey to Fort Edmonton, leaving behind sick men and exhausted animals. Later, the Fort was used as a staging area for the signing of Treaty No. 6. In 1885, the NWMP again occupied the fort until Superintendent Crozier decided that it could not be defended from attack and everyone should move to Prince Albert. While packing for a hasty exit, fire broke out and much of the fort was destroyed.

The Hudson's Bay Company never rebuilt the fort. After archaeological excavations in the 1960s, the fort was partially reconstructed and is now a provincial historic park 16 kms southwest of Carlton, Saskatchewan.


Fort Carlton
Fort Carlton
 
Prev page
Top of page
Next page

 

 

 

 

4. Establishment of a Police Force


Daily Life and Routine at the Posts
Development of Communities Around NWMP Posts