|Lower Fort Garry
The Hudson's Bay Company built two forts at present day Winnipeg, Lower Fort Garry and Upper Fort Garry. Upper Fort Garry, at the forks of the Red and Assiniboine rivers, proved to be the better of the two forts and after a short stay at Lower Fort Garry, the Hudson's Bay Company moved back to its upper fort. Lower Fort Garry continued to be used as a supply depot for the local Native and Metis population and occasionally, to house the military.
The first NWMP arrived at Lower Fort Garry on October 22, 1873. "At the Stone Fort we were soon settled fairly comfortably in the store buildings which had to answer for barracks. The officers were quartered in the Hudson's Bay Company's Officers' mess, which still stands in the centre of the square, and as soon as all were located Lt.-Col. Osbourne Smith came down from Winnipeg and swore us in, each man being given a warrant with his name and rank, the first and last issued to the force."